Buttonbush has long been prized as a native, but it was way too big for most landscapes. 'Sugar Shack' is a breeding breakthrough from Proven Winners. It is less than half the size of the species making it suitable for smaller gardens. Cephalanthus 'Sugar Shack' has interesting fragrant white flowers followed by shiny red fruit. The fIowers are very rich in nectar making them a valuable food source for pollinators. It also has beautiful glossy green foliage from spring to fall.
- Height: 90-122 cm (36-48 in)
- Spread: 90-122 cm (36-48 in)
- Hardiness: Zone 4
- Sun or Shade: part shade to sun
- Bloom Time: early to mid summer
- Leaf Colour: glossy green
- Bloom Colour: creamy white
- Nature Attraction: bees, butterflies and hummingbirds
Growing and Maintenance Tips
Cephalanthus is easy to grow in moist, organically rich soils in full sun to part shade. It grows well in wet soil, including seasonal flood conditions and shallow standing water. Pruning is usually not necessary, but may be done in early spring to shape.