Actea 'Hillside Black Beauty' has striking dark purplish black foliage. The long fragrant bottle brush flowers open white with a pale pink blush tinge. It is a choice background plant for a partially shaded site where its lovely fragrant flowers will stand out against the green of trees or hedges. It combines well with Thalictrum 'Lavender Mist'
- Height: 122 - 213 cm (48 - 84 in)
- Spread: 61 - 76 cm (24 - 30 in)
- Cold Hardiness: Zone 4
- Sun or Shade: partial sun to partial shade
- Bloom Time: late summer to early fall
- Leaf Colour: purplish black
- Bloom Colour: blush white
- Critter Resistance: deer and rabbits
- Nature Attraction: pollinators
Growing and Maintenance Tips
Actea 'Hillside Black Beauty' is an easy care plant that thrives in well drained soil that has been enriched with compost. It is considered a plant for partial shade but it will grow in full sun with a constant supply of moisture. It does not like competition from tree roots especially as a young plant. It is shallow rooted and easy to move when it is young so it can be dug up and reset if it is not thriving.