available late May
About This Grass
Chasmanthium latifolium 'River Mist' is a beautiful variegated form of Sea Oats that has done very well in our sunny display garden. It is equally at home in dappled light. The green and white foliage often has a little pinkish tint to it. 'River Mist' is an excellent addition to a woodland garden where its lovely foliage is an interesting contrast to broader leaved plants. It can be used as a specimen or massed. The dangling oat like seed heads turn coppery in the fall.
- Height: 60 - 71 cm (24- in)
- Spread: 41 - 46 cm (16-18 in)
- Cold Hardiness: zone 5
- Sun or Shade: Sun to shade
- Bloom Time: Summer to late Fall
- Leaf Colour: green and white variegated
- Bloom Colour: tan deepening to copper
- Critter Resistance: deer and rabbits
- Nature Attraction: birds
Growing and Maintenance Tips
Chasmanthium is very tolerant and easy to grow. Sun to part shade and dry to wet conditions suit it. Moist soil in light to partial shade is the ideal environment. The seed heads are very attractive and should be left for winter interest. Cut it down in the spring before new growth begins. Divide it in the spring.